Department of Defense (Tuition Assistance)

Information for Students

The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus follows all requirements of the Department of Defense Voluntary Education Partnership Memorandum of Understanding. Each military service branch manages military Tuition Assistance (TA) guidelines. Students wishing to use military TA should contact their military service first to determine both eligibility and availability of military TA funds.  

    Additional Military Resources

  • U.S. Army
  • U.S. Navy
  • U.S. Air Force
  • U.S. Marine Corps

  • **Once approved via your military service, please complete the sponsor student agreement form.**

    How to Complete a Sponsored Student Agreement Form:

    1. Log into UCDAccess
    2. In the top right menu, select "Sponsored Student Agreement"
    3. Read the instructions and fill out the form

      Per DoD MOU, paragraph 4.d.(1), “If an eligible Service member decides to use Tuition Assistance (TA), educational institutions will enroll him or her only after the TA is approved by the individual’s Service.” Service members can register for classes before securing military TA; however, they will be solely responsible for all tuition costs until their military services approve their request and the appropriate documents are submitted to the university. The service member’s evaluated education plan approved for military TA will only cover courses listed under the plan.

      Use of military TA with Financial Aid and VA Education Benefits:
      Military TA is eligible to be used concurrently with financial aid and VA education benefits if eligible. Per DOD rules, military TA is not eligible to use the Montgomery GI Bill®-Selected Reserve Program (CH1606) or the Reserve Educational Assistance Program (CH1607). Students must submit their FAFSA to determine eligible financial aid and discuss eligibility for VA education benefits with VMSS. Students who qualify for Pell Grants and/or VA education benefits will have their military TA benefits applied to their account before the application of their Pell Grant funds and their VA education benefits. Contact the Veterans & Military Student Services (VMSS) via email at for assistance.

      Drops/Withdrawals While Using military TA:
      If a student using Military TA drops a class or withdraws from all classes for a term, the University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus Bursar Office/third-party team will manage refunds of Military TA funds.

      Please review the Award Adjustment financial aid policy. Refund details for DOD are as follows:

      • Up to the start date for the term, return all Military TA funds to the appropriate military service when the service member does not cancel.
      • Attend the University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus or
      • Start a course, regardless of whether the student starts other courses.
      • If the student drop occurs before the term Census Date, the Bursar Office / Third-Party Team will reimburse all military TA funds for the dropped course/s to the appropriate military service.
      • Return any military TA funds paid for a revoked course by the university.

      • For complete withdrawal from a term, the amount of military TA that is earned is determined on a pro-rata basis.  For example, if you completed 30% of the period of enrollment, you earned 30% of the approved military TA so 70% of the military TA will be returned to the military service.  Once you have completed more than 60% of the period of enrollment, approved military TA will no longer be eligible for a refund to the military service.

      • To calculate the amount of earned military TA, the University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus will divide the number of calendar days the student attended classes by the total number of calendar days in the semester (scheduled breaks of 5 days or more will be deducted out of the equation). The resulting percentage is then multiplied by the total amount of military TA funds approved by the military service before the beginning of the term. The result of this calculation determines the amount of military TA earned by the student. Any amount exceeding the earned calculation must be returned to the military service. The VMSS will notify and instruct any students who owe money because the university has returned the appropriate amount to the military service. Funds returned to the military service may result in a balance on your account, which you are responsible for paying per the University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus refund policy.

      For additional assistance regarding sponsored student billing please, contact Third-Party Billing at 303-315-1800 or via email at

Bursar's Office

Student Billing

CU Denver

Student Commons Building

1201 Larimer Street


Denver, CO 80204

Fax: 303-315-1805


CMS Login